Monday, November 09, 2009

Foutainhead Dialogue#2 - pg163

Roark explaining Janss on buildings...

"I dont know that I've ever thought anything about why a building was beautiful, one way or another," Mr.Janss confessed, "but I guess thats what the public wants."

R: "why do you suppose they want it?"
J: "You've got to consider the public"
R: "Dont you know thats most people take most things because thats what given to them, and they have no opinion whatever? Do you wish to be guided by what they expect you to think they think or by your own judgement?"
J: "You cant force it down their throats."
R: "You dont have to. You must only be patient. Because on your side you have reason -oh, I know, its something no one really wants to have on his side - and against you, you have just a vague, fat, blind inertia"
J: "Why do you think I dont want reason on my side?"
R: "Its not you, Mr.Janss. Its the way most people feel. They have to take a chance, everything they do is taking a chance, but they feel so much safer when they take it on something they know to be ugly, vain and stupid."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home