Thursday, November 17, 2005

The Catcher in the Rye - J D Salinger


So very much like Sandy speaks!! Now, if you wonder who on earth is Sandy? Well, he's my younger brother. This book reminds me of him, the sarcasm involved which makes you laugh your pants off and also the pure innocence. One thing I liked about Holden Caulfield was the phrase he used generously... "That killed me!" And that killed me too! :-) Not to mention "old Phoebe". She was a sweetheart, very much like me!!!! :-)

I liked many quotes in the book. One of them being....

"Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around-nobody big, I mean-except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff-I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be. I know it's crazy"

Sadly this was his aim in life! ;-)

Many authors have noted that almost every swear word in the English language is used freely in this novel except for the word "shit," which never occurs. Instead of saying "bullshit" (a word which was not uncommon in the 1950s), Holden instead says "shoot the bull." The only plausible explanation for this is simply to add to the realism of the story-Holden himself has some reservations with regard to obscenity.

4 Comments:

Blogger Yogesh Jangam said...

Catcher in the Rye...oh thats why the title is that?...umm need to pick that up.....

Nice post subha...continue the good work..

P.S To avoid spam comments ,turn on Word Verification....
Neeraj has just disabled comments...too bad :(

Thursday, November 17, 2005 11:43:00 PM  
Blogger Chris Fernando said...

Cool little post - reminds me of Sandy too! Especially his sarcastic comments - i miss them a lot :(

I think I need to get my hands on the book.

Take Care Sweety...

Friday, November 18, 2005 7:26:00 AM  
Blogger neeraj said...

Hi Yogesh,

The comments are restored. So sorry for that.
Anyways we have one more blogger in our team.

I am happy finally subha listened and started this blog :))

Neeraj

Sunday, November 20, 2005 12:58:00 AM  
Blogger Yogesh Jangam said...

Hey PG...
When are you coming back to Mumbai..PB is also near bye...

Anyway i've started reading this book and would keep you updated...

btw the incident with the prostitute Holden meets in the hotel is nice...and also where he meets those nuns and donates them money...

Monday, December 19, 2005 3:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home